Play Specialist, Paediatric Play and Recreation, Starship Child Health
- Are you an experienced and qualified ECE teacher?
- Do you have a background in child development and a creative streak?
- Come & join our Play Specialist team!
Ko wai mātou | Our Organisation
We are Te Whatu Ora Te Toka Tumai Auckland. We provide health and disability services to more than half a million people living in central Auckland, regional services for Northland and greater Auckland, and specialist national services for the whole of New Zealand. Our main sites are Auckland City Hospital, Greenlane Clinical Centre and Starship Children’s Hospital, located in central Auckland
At Te Toka Tumai Auckland we are committed to upholding Te Tiriti o Waitangi and providing culturally safe care. We value role modelling manaakitanga as demonstrated by Ngāti Whātua in the gifting of their whenua on which our hospitals stand. We aspire to having a workforce reflective of the communities we serve and achieving equitable outcomes for all.
Te whiwhinga mahi | The Opportunity
The Starship team have some fabulous opportunities for Play Specialists in a unique environment for those able to think outside of the square. The Hospital Play Specialist’s support infants, children and young people to become confident and competent learners within the context of their hospital experience. With a strong educational and psycho-social framework that supports whānau involvement, we facilitate children’s continued development and their ability to cope successfully with challenges related to their hospital visit.
You may find us normalising the hospital visit in a play space, familiarising children with medical equipment or procedures, supporting children during procedures such as blood tests, or developing and practicing coping strategies to manage tough times. This role is challenging but very rewarding when working with children, their whānau and our wider multidisciplinary team.
We currently have a
- Permanent, Part-time (24 hours per week) – this role is ward based working with infants, children and youth.
- Fixed term, Part-time (24 hours per week) – this role has a youth focus working across services within Starship; additional skills with rangatahi would be beneficial.
Nga Pūkenga Motuhake | Important Skills
We welcome applications from those with:
- A recognised early childhood or primary teaching qualification (preferably the Bachelor of Teaching (ECE) or equivalent.
- Registration and certification with the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand
- Experience working as a teacher or support worker within the health or education sectors.
- Eligibility to gain registration with the Hospital Play Specialist Association Registration Council.
For further details, please refer to the position description here.
For more information about this role please contact the Hiring manager, Nicola Woollaston via NWoollaston@adhb.govt.nz
He aha ngā painga o tēnei mahi mōu | Why you will enjoy working here
We recognise there is more to life than mahi | work, and we encourage and provide access to all our staff several services and benefits to support themselves whilst they are employed within Te Toka Tumai | Auckland DHB.
For more information on what we offer, please click here.
Me pēhea te tuku tono | How to apply
Please submit your application online, outlining your experience in your CV and motivation to apply to this role in your covering letter quoting the Job reference: ADHB15643 for fixed term role and ADHB15644 for permanent role.
If you have any queries about accessibility, or technical issues with the online process, please contact Honey Pillai - Recruitment Consultant at HPillai@adhb.govt.nz
Advertising closes: Sunday, 2 October 2022.
For the biggest health sector job board in New Zealand visit www.kiwihealthjobs.com
||Auckland City Hospital
This position is a Core Children's worker under the Children's Act & requires full safety checks completed before any new employee starts
This position requires any worker to be vaccinated for vaccine preventable diseases including Covid-19
Pre-Employment Health Screening Read more